During a press conference held Friday afternoon, investigators say the three rapes all took place in the northern portion of Ramsey Street.
Officials say the same man commited the rapes, (August 23 2006, February 12, 2007, and September 18, 2007) and a 2004 "Peeping Tom" case in Harnett County were committed by the same suspect.
Detectives have not released a composite sketch of the suspect who is described as a white or Hispanic male, early 20s to early 30s and 5'08" - 6'03" tall with a medium, slightly muscular or athletic build.
Detectives also discussed a recent sexual assault that occurred on January 26, 2008 in the Bubblecreek Court area off Ramsey Street. This case has not been linked to the same suspect at this time. However, detectives are looking into this possibility.
Police suggest several safety precautions to ward off potential attacks:
- Lock all doors and windows and use available alarms.
- Contact police if you notice suspicious individuals or activities. Call 911 and ask for an officer to respond.
- Use the buddy system when going out.
- Be aware of your surroundings during the day and night regardless of whether you home or away. Be particularly cautious in unfamiliar surroundings.
- Get to know your neighbors and the environment in which you live.
- Be a good neighbor and look out for one another.
- When jogging or walking go with a friend and vary your route.
- Do not use earphones when exercising outdoors. They can prevent you from hearing approaching footsteps or vehicles.
- Exercise in open areas. Avoid areas where someone can easily hide.
- Don't forget to close and lock windows and doors before leaving your home.
- Make sure a family member or close friend knows where you are going and when you should return.
- Keep your cell phone with you in case an emergency arises.
- Contact police if you notice suspicious individuals or activities. Call 911 and ask for an officer to respond to find out what is going on.