Police: Duke sexual assault never happened

March 11, 2008 1:49:10 PM PDT
A woman who said she was sexually assaulted last week near Duke Hospital now admits her report is untrue, according to police.

An investigation by the Duke University Police Department turned up several inconsistencies in the woman's account of the March 6 alleged assault.

After further questioning, the woman acknowledged she had not been near Duke on the day when the incident was supposed to have occurred.

Aaron Graves, Duke's associate vice president for safety and security, said no decision has been reached yet regarding whether charges would be filed against the 21-year-old woman. The woman is not a Duke student or an employee.

"Sexual assault is a very serious matter, and I hope this unfortunate incident will not deter anyone who is a victim of such a crime from reporting what happened and seeking assistance," Graves said.


Load Comments