Garbage disposal ban takes effect

March 15, 2008 9:00:00 PM PDT
A controversial ban on new and replacement garbage disposals starts Monday.

It affects all Raleigh residents and all towns receiving Raleigh water.

It is part of a new plan, passed earlier this month to reduce the more than 50 sewer overflows the city deals with each year.

However, City Coucilman Philip Isley says the city should take more time to consider the ban.

He says he will raise objectives when the council meets again Tuesday.

"When I looked at the tape of the meeting, I think there was less than five minutes of discussion, that seems to be a bit quick," Isley said.

Violators caught installing or replacing disposals faces fine up to $25,000 a day.


Load Comments