Ford Explorer may have sparked house fire

April 25, 2008 12:50:02 PM PDT
A Ford Explorer is being blamed for a house fire.

Investigators think a faulty cruise control switch sparked the fire which then spread to the house -- just days after a new Ford recall.

"It was definitely scary," neighbor Rolande Doll said.

It was 2:30 a.m. when her husband and her sister heard an explosion. They ran across the street where their neighbor's car had caught fire.

"By the time he got his shoes on and went over there, the garage door was up," Doll said.

Fortunately, the Ford Explorer was parked outside, charring the garage and filling the house with smoke.

The owner says his SUV is part of a voluntary safety recall affecting millions of vehicles.

It's not the first time a faulty speed control switch has sparked a house fire in Raleigh. Just last month, a 12-year-old boy saved his family after their Ford Expedition caught the garage on fire just below his bedroom.

It's a potentially dangerous situation that has local fire department urging Ford car owners to watch out.


Load Comments