Governor orders more cuts

February 25, 2009 2:26:55 PM PST
Governor Beverly Perdue ordered even deeper cuts to the North Carolina state budget Wednesday.Perdue told most state agencies Wednesday to reduce their spending by 9 percent of their budgeted amounts for the current fiscal year. Last month, she had asked for cuts of up to 7 percent.

Perdue also said the state will transfer $300 million from four special accounts into the state's general operating fund to deal with potential cash flow problems. She called that a precautionary step.

Perdue said last week she had asked for additional cuts to confront a budget shortfall that her office said could reach as much as $2.2 billion.


Load Comments