Man killed in house fire

August 12, 2009 9:30:15 AM PDT
An early morning fire in Smithfield killed one person Wednesday.Women and children escaped the burning home safely. The fire started around 12:30 a.m. at a home on Martin Luther King Drive.

Eyewitnesses say a man visiting the house woke up to find it on fire. He stayed inside trying to put it out with a neighbor's help.

"I yelled out, 'Is there anyone else in the house?' and they said that Quincy was in there trying to put out the fire," Lamont Eason told Eyewitness News. "I ran back there and that's when all the flames were too much and there was no way he could survive."

Although the eyewitness named the man he said was in the house, authorities have not released the victim's identity.

Officials told Eyewitness News the fire started from a pot that was left burning on the stove.


Load Comments