Wake board postpones discussing Burns departure

February 24, 2010 4:16:18 AM PST
The Wake County School Board met Tuesday to address what some members perceive as insubordination by Superintendent Del Burns.Shortly after 5 p.m., board members and their attorney gathered behind closed doors to meet in a closed session to discuss when Burns should leave the school system.

Even though Burns was at Leesville Road High School where the board met Tuesday, he did not participate in the meeting.

Board members came out of the closed session around 6:30 p.m.

No decision was made, but Wake County School Board Chairman Ron Margiotta said the board would recess the meeting until March 2.

"We had good conversations," Margiotta said. "We're all grown-ups, no rising of voices. Good constructive meeting I think." Burns remains on the job for now. According to his contract, the school board could release him, but would have to pay him until June.

The superintendent said in a suprise announcement last week that he's resigning in June. In a round of media interviews after the announcement, Burns said he's not comfortable implementing changes the new board wants to make.

Some members of the new majority on the board have said that they think Burns should be removed before June because of his public comments.

Board member Keith Sutton has said he opposes ousting Burns now and looked visibly upset after Tuesday's meeting.

"I'm a little frustrated by the whole piece, but we'll work through it," Sutton said.

Following the closed meeting, board members held a fourth public forum on year-round schools without Burns.

His seat was vacant and his name plate was flipped over.

Click here to read about the year-round meeting

Send pictures | Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts
Most Popular  |  Follow abc11 on Twitter  |  abc11 on Facebook


Load Comments