On Wednesday, Duke Vice President for Public Affairs and Government Relations Michael Schoenfeld released a statement regarding the case.
"Coach Michael Pressler is an excellent coach. He did a great job building the Duke men's lacrosse program, while maintaining a 100% graduation rate in his sixteen years. Duke University regrets any adverse consequences that the Newsday or AP article had on Coach Pressler or his family. Duke wishes nothing but the best for Coach Pressler in his future endeavors, especially at Bryant University and as he leads Team USA in the world lacrosse championships. The University will have no additional comment on this matter."
Details about the settlement have not been released.
Last September, a North Carolina appeals court decided a trial court ruled correctly when it said Pressler's obligation to arbitrate his slander and libel claims was voided by his settlement agreement with Duke.
The appeals court ruling meant Pressler could pursue punitive damages and other penalties for disparaging comment he said former Duke spokesman John Burness made to the media.
A Duke spokesperson had previously told ABC11 Eyewitness News that, "Duke University will vigorously defend itself against this lawsuit either in arbitration or in court."