Apex authorities originally told ABC11 Eyewitness News three EMS units responded to the school for three unconscious students who were overcome by heat during a school assembly. At this time, it is not clear if heat played a role in the students passing out.
Wake County Public Schools confirmed to ABC11 that students fainted but say it was because of emotions the students experienced while attending a school program called "Vehicle Injury Prevention for a Very Important Person."
"VIP for a VIP" is a program where speakers provide facts and figures to educate students about safe driving. Guests also share personal testimonials to show the real life impact of vehicle crashes.
The program is meant to help save teen lives by scaring them with images and statistics.
School officials say there is no indication that the air conditioner in the gym wasn't working.
Apex senior Charlie Adams said after the first person fainted, a second complained of being too hot and also fainted. A third student fainted and was treated at the school.
One-thousand students packed into the gym for the program and students agree it was warm.
None of the students who fainted were transported to the hospital. Paramedics were already at the school participating in the VIP program, so they were able to respond quickly.
Adams told ABC11 although it was warm in the gym, he believes the students were overcome by emotions.