One killed in barber shop shooting, suspect arrested

Roger Onaje McKenzie

August 9, 2010 9:21:21 PM PDT
Police have arrested a man in connection with a fatal shooting at Total Styles and Cuts Barber Shop at 203 East Cabarrus Street in downtown Raleigh Monday morning.

Authorities say 29-year-old James Edward Hamer of Raleigh was shot and killed Monday morning.

A witness told ABC11 he heard one shot and then saw a man run out of the business asking people to call 911 because someone had been shot inside.

Authorities released the 911 call late Monday afternoon.

Raleigh Police Department detectives have charged 23-year-old Roger Onaje McKenzie with murder in connection with Hamer's death.

McKenzie was taken into custody without incident Monday afternoon at his Raleigh home. He is currently at the Wake County Jail being held without bond.

McKenzie is scheduled for a Tuesday court appearance, but it wasn't immediately known whether he had an attorney.

Police won't say how or if McKenzie and Hamer knew each other.

News of the attack - which happened just after 9 a.m. as people were headed to work - came as a surprise to many who live in the area.

"I walk this way into work every day. Some of the people on my way in I see every day and I greet and say hi. That's a little upsetting to hear," said downtown worker Robin Dunn.

"It's really scary to think they could be shooting out here," said downtown worker Susanne Pitchford.

There has been more violence in the area recently. A man was stabbed about two blocks away last week. He survived and a suspect was arrested the same day.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Most Popular
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments