According to authorities, an underground explosion blew the top off an electrical box causing the blackout. It is still unclear what exactly caused the explosion.
"There was just real black and sooty from the spark or whatever had caused the explosion," said Jerry Pace with the Raleigh Fire Department.
Customers inside the mall were asked to leave, causing traffic jams around the shopping center on Glenwood Avenue.
At least three shoppers were trapped inside an elevator until power was restored around 6:15 p.m.
Stores inside the mall closed their gates during the outage, however, confusion prompted some stores to close early once power was restored.
No one was hurt in the incident and within hours it was back to business as usual for the mall.