Stove catches fire, destroys Zebulon couple's home

Firefighters say flames ripped through an elderly couple's home, Sunday, on Old Bunn Rd. in Zebulon

September 26, 2010 4:23:58 PM PDT
A Wake County couple is dealing with the aftermath of a fire that destroyed their home on Sunday afternoon. Firefighters say they were called to a fire at the couple's home on Old Bunn Road in Zebulon around 2pm.

The couple's home was engulfed in flames when crews arrived. Firefighters say it took about forty-five minutes to put the blaze out.

Investigators say the couple escaped unharmed, even though they did not have working smoke detectors or a fire extinguisher.

The Fire Chief tells Eyewitness News that the fire started while the man was cooking on the stove in his kitchen. He tried to put the fire out but called authorities after he wasn't successful. The man's wife was sleeping in the bedroom when she awoke to the flames. Both were able to escape.

The blaze destroyed the back end of the Zebulon home and is expected to be a total loss.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Most Popular
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments