Man burned in Durham house fire

October 23, 2010 4:53:17 PM PDT
A Durham man officials identified as a transient was seriously burned in a house fire Saturday.It happened in the 3800 block of Wortham Street, just after 11:30 a.m.

According to fire investigators, a transient who was squatting at the house woke up to find his mattress on fire, and tried to put it out.

That's when he suffered the burn injuries.

Meanwhile, the mattress somehow wound up on the deck, lighting it on fire, before igniting part of the house.

It is unclear whether the transient was sleeping outside, or if he moved the mattress.

There is no word yet on a cause.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Most Popular
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments