Additional testing in Ft. Bragg baby deaths

Fort Bragg (Wikimedia)

February 3, 2011 8:55:32 PM PST
Investigators are still trying to determine if there's a link connecting the deaths of 10 babies on Fort Bragg.Several families tell ABC11 that they have little faith in the latest report saying the results contradict what they've been told before. However, Fort Bragg is standing by the results.

"For almost four years, I've been waiting and still waiting to find out what happened," mother Pearline Sculley said.

Sculley says she doesn't know what caused her son Jaden's death, but she's on a mission to find out if it's something inside their old home on Fort Bragg.

Two other babies died in the same house the following year.

A field agent for the Consumer Product Safety Commission found copper fixtures around the home turning black and noted other signs of corrosion. He said he suspected a problem with the drywall.

According to Fort Bragg, the latest testing done by Environ International shows no corrosion around that home or any of the homes where 10 infants died over the last four years.

"We're doing everything we can to find out is there something wrong with the houses and so far everything is saying no there isn't," said Tom McCollum with Fort Bragg Public Affairs.

"How can one company go in and say this is what we found, got pictures of and then someone else goes in and says we don't see anything like that, unless someone changed it out, it should still be there," Sculley said.

She says she also has concerns about another house where Gabriel Duke died.

The Duke family shared test results with the I-Team showing their drywall tested positive for sulfur off-gassing.

Fort Bragg then pointed toward additional tests with different parameters, which came back negative for sulfur.

The I-Team took the different tests to the head of toxicology at NC State University, who said the first test should have been an indicator that something's wrong inside the home.

Fort Bragg officials then ordered more tests after ABC11's repor, but those have come back negative too.

For now, no one is living in the Duke home or the home where three babies died.

While Fort Bragg says it feels confident the houses are safe, they're waiting on results from a federal investigation to be sure.

"We owe it to our families," McCollum said. "We owe it especially to the families who suffered the deaths."

"I want some answers," Sculley said. "I want to know what happened cause at the end of the day you cannot tell me it's just a coincidence."

There are 263 pages of documents about the investigation. If you would like look at all of the documents click here.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Load Comments