Thanksgiving meal possibly leads to fire

A family cooking Thanksgiving dinner said things got away from them, leading to a fire.

November 25, 2011 5:54:42 AM PST
A family cooking Thanksgiving dinner said things got away from them, leading to a fire.

The blaze broke out in the kitchen of an apartment at the Courtney Place Apartment Homes in the 4600 block of Dansey Drive just after 9 a.m. Thursday.

Fire crews were able to put out the fire quickly, thanks in part to the apartment's sprinkler system, which likely helped the flames from spreading to other units, according to a battalion chief with the Raleigh Fire Department.

The kitchen inside the apartment was destroyed after sustaining fire and water damage.

A woman and her son, who were inside the apartment at the time the blaze broke out, were not hurt. They said they had just pre-heated the oven when the fire started.

A neighbor called 911 as the two people inside rushed out.

"They said there was a fire get out of the house and that's what we did," neighbor Juliana Keith said. "We ran, woke up the other kids who were sleeping, and went down."

"Everybody had pretty much evacuated the area," Battalion Chief E.M. Martin said. "We got the rest of the residents out of the building just as a precaution."

Residents in neighboring apartments were able to return to their homes after authorities cleared the scene.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments