Family wants answers after Garner apartment fire

December 7, 2011 2:52:34 PM PST
Flames ripped through a Garner apartment complex over the weekend. Now, days later, one displaced family is still fuming. They can't seem to get answers from the complex about their home that sits right next to a burned out unit.

The fire happened at the Bryan Woods apartment complex on Saturday.

Meghan Lyons says she was home with her 3-year-old son, Jack, when the fire broke out. They made it out unharmed and their unit did not have fire damage.

However, because their unit sits right next to a unit that was engulfed in flames, the Lyons' home was full of smoke. Lyons has allergies and asthma and a young child. She and her husband don't feel the unit is safe for their family.

"It absolutely reeks of smoke, kind of plasticy smoke smell," said Lyons. "It's so bad that I can't go in there. I start choking almost immediately. We want to know if our furniture is even salvageable. We don't have beds or anything right now. It's kind of insulting that they're ignoring us when this terrible thing happened to us."

No one was available to talk to ABC11 when we stopped by the rental office Wednesday afternoon. But we did speak to a district manager for the company who says the apartments have been released and the Lyons' unit is ready for their return. They say it doesn't smell like smoke anymore and is safe. However Lyons isn't so sure.

She wants to be let out of her lease and have her security deposit returned. That's something the district manager said won't be happening.

For now, Lyons is planning to pursue legal action against the company. She's hoping to be able to get her family into another home.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook

Load Comments