The Department of Health and Human Services said Thursday the Wake Forest Care Center poses an "imminent danger to the health, safety and welfare of its residents."
The facility has until Monday to find new homes for the nearly 70 people at the assisted living facility, which is located in the 300-block of South Allen Road.
It is the same place where a 79-year-old man wandered away and died last month. Another person died after walking away from the center back in 2006.
Wake County Human Services is helping to relocate the residents.
HHS said its decision is part of a weeks-long investigation into the facility. In a decision delivered to the facility Thursday afternoon, the agency said conditions are dangerous to the "health, safety, and welfare of the residents and emergency protection is required to protect the residents."
"Today has been a shock. It doesn't seem fair, because this facility is safe," said the owner of the facility, Richard Cresenzo, in a statement to ABC11.
Cresenzo said he's owned the facility since 1996, and he's corrected every issue the state agency notified him over during their investigation. He plans to appeal the decision.