Wake student assignment plan to move forward

March 19, 2012 3:55:35 PM PDT
Wake County School Board members said Tuesday night they'll move forward with a controversial student assignment plan despite concerns voiced by some new board members.

That means parents will begin the first phase of choice selections Jan. 17 as planned.

At a meeting last week, some newly elected board members picked apart and questioned the sustainability of the new student assignment plan. One member called the plan "unsustainable."

The plan is supposed to give parents their choice of schools based on where they live, but some parents and board members said they are concerned some of those schools are already full.

Parents also expressed that their choice of schools are not as close as they should be.

The new school board had discussed tossing out the plan altogether and starting over, but after meeting for hours Tuesday with district staffers, opted not to make any changes. Superintendent Tony Tata reassured the board that the plan can be tweaked along the way to ensure it succeeds.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments