Man dies in Fayetteville fire

Danny Barber (Image courtesy family)

January 11, 2012 10:09:12 AM PST
Investigators said Wednesday they suspect an electrical problem sparked a fire that left a man dead on John Smith Rd.

A passer-by spotted smoke coming from 57-year-old Danny Barber's home just before 2 a.m.

Firefighters said when they arrived, there was no external flame showing, but smoke was pouring from two vents on the side of the house. They broke through the glass of a door to get in, but it was too late to save Barber

"From what I understand from my daughter - she called me and my sister-in-law had called her too - that it was some kind of electrical fire. And he died from smoke inhalation," explained Barber's cousin Charles Johnson.

Barber's body was found in a bathroom.

Johnson said he and Barber grew up in the house. Family members have lived in it for nearly 50 years. Johnson said his cousin was a good person who was trying to get his life back on track.

"Well, he was pretty easy going person. He didn't seem to bother anyone. And he kind of pretty much stayed to himself," said Johnston.

Investigators said it looked like Barber tried to get out of the house but may have become disoriented.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments