State allows assisted living facility to stay open

January 11, 2012 9:00:00 PM PST
The state has allowed a Wake County assisted living facility to stay open, as long as it does not accept any new patients.

The state ruled Thursday that the 70 residents can stay at the Wake Forest Care Center. They were going to be forced out last week because the state said the center posed an imminent danger to its residents.

A detailed report revealed startling problems at the facility including medical professionals not qualified to give medication, residents not treated with respect, staff failing to follow doctors' orders and other concerns.

In December, a 79-year-old man wandered away from the home and died. The same thing happened back in 2006, when a person died after walking away.

Following the investigation, the state ordered the center to shut down, but its owner, Richard Cresenzo, got a court order to stay open. Since then, the state says the most serious resident health and safety concerns have been corrected.

The Wake Forest Care Center could still faces a possible downgrade to a provisional license, which means it could still shut down if it doesn't meet state standards.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments