Fire destroys WWII veteran's home

Fire destroys WWII veteran's home in Harnett County Thursday
April 18, 2012 2:14:38 PM PDT
An early morning fire destroyed the home of a World War II veteran Thursday.

It happened just after 3 a.m. in Harnett County on Hwy 27 in Lillington - about 30 miles north of Fayetteville.

The WWII veteran, Benjamin Wood Sr., was able to make it out of the home uninjured.

His health is not good, I knew he slept in the back of the house - that was my first concern ? him being able to get out of the house," his son Benjamin Wood Jr. said. "They got him out of bed and were able to drag him out of the house."

The family was doing some renovations to the home when it went up in flames. It is believed that the blaze started in the chimney.

The house is a complete loss and the family did not have insurance on the home.

The Red Cross is currently helping the displaced veteran.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments