The fire was first reported around 10:30 a.m.
"Smoke billowing from the center of the building, just as black as it could be," said one witness.
The blaze proved difficult to control as flames could be seen shooting into the street in uReport photos sent in to ABC11.
The building, which is something of a landmark in Raleigh's popular Glenwood South area, is mostly wood on the interior, causing some to speculate that helped spread the fire all the faster. The damage was extensive.
Investigators with the Raleigh Fire Department said the cause of the blaze appeared to be an accidental grease fire. There was no sprinkler system in the building.
No injuries were reported.
Jennifer Leshney is a one-time server and long-time Hibernian patron. She's raising money to help rebuild the Hibernian. She started a Facebook page, which is already earning pledges.
Patrons can go to www.facebook.com/HibernianNation to find out more.