Man accused of shooting officer indicted

Carlos Riley Jr.
January 8, 2013 7:54:04 AM PST
A Durham County grand jury has indicted the man allegedly involved in a struggle with a Durham police officer that left the policeman with a gunshot wound to the leg December 18.

Carlos Antonio Riley Jr., 21, now faces six separate charges including assault on a law enforcement officer with a deadly weapon, 2 counts of assault with a firearm on a law enforcement officer, assault on a law enforcement officer inflicting serious injury, robbery with a dangerous weapon, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, and careless and reckless driving.

Despite the charges, a lawyer for Riley Jr. told ABC11 last month that Officer Kelley Stewart was dressed in plain clothes, was driving an unmarked vehicle, and shot himself in the leg during an altercation with Riley after trying to pull him over.

Last week, Riley's family sent a letter to Durham County Prosecutor Leon Stanback asking him to have the State Bureau of Investigation look into the case.

Police said Stewart's .45-caliber Smith and Wesson semi-automatic handgun was missing after the shooting. However, his badge, which had been missing, was recovered.

Two other men - Ledarius Devon Riley, 18, and Dustin McCoy Portee, 20 - were both arrested after the incident and charged with being an accessory after the fact to a felony.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments