Officials: Space heater caused fatal fire

A Saturday morning fire in Guilford County killed two young children.
March 10, 2013 1:10:20 PM PDT
Fire marshals say a space heater sparked the fire that killed two young children Saturday in Guilford County.

The fire happened before 7 a.m. at a home on N.C. Highway 61 in Gibsonville.

Investigators believe the victims are 1-year-old Jade Hawks and 4-year-old Matthew Ridge-Powls. Firefighters found the children dead in the same bed.

Police say the kids were staying with their grandfather at the time. He tried rescuing them, but wasn't able to save them.

Firefighters say the blaze started when a space heated got too close to some combustible material. It has been ruled an accident.

Authorities say the home didn't have working smoke detectors.

Classifieds | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | See Click Fix
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments