Odor of gas reported in southwestern Wake County

April 10, 2013 7:24:53 PM PDT
People living in several areas of southwestern Wake County reported a strong odor of gas Wednesday afternoon and evening.

Apex town officials say someone was cutting up propane tanks for scrap metal in the Evans Road area.

At some point during the disposal, a small fire ignited on the tar coating on the tank. This caused a release of sulfur dioxide, a compound added to otherwise odorless propane to give it a strong smell, warning people when there is a problem.

Authorities said the gas is not flammable, and there is no danger to the public.

See It On TV | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Send us photos
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments