Officials said they had to cancel this year's Fourth of July event due to the huge federal budget cuts also known as sequestration. The military says it's also reducing services in many other areas.
"Our reduced operating budget for the remainder of this year forces many very tough decisions; notably I must cancel our annual Fort Bragg 4th of July celebration," Lt. Gen. Daniel B. Allyn, Commanding General of XVIII Airborne Corps and Fort Bragg said in a press release Thursday.
Fort Bragg's annual 4th of July celebration is one of the largest in the state. It attracts more than 50,000 people from throughout southeastern North Carolina, and has been held for more than 30 years.
In February, the automatic federal budget cuts kicked in and the impact has been felt across the Fort Bragg and Fayetteville area.
Other recent changes include the closures of Habanero's Grill, Runway Bowling Lanes, the woodworking shop, and Cleland Ice Rink beginning on April 27.
Services such as weekend controlled burn operations by forestry management, mowing and landscaping contracts and shuttle service from Linden Oaks to Main Post have been canceled as well due to budget constraints.
Seymour Johnson Air Force base also canceled its air show set for May 18-19 due to cuts.
Last month, the Airborne and Special Operations Museum in Fayetteville said it would be closing four days a week due to budget cuts. However, a private foundation is working to determine options to accept outside donations to help restore normal operating hours to the museum.