Man in fatal Raleigh crash released from hospital

Ray Rouse IV is taken to see a magistrate in a wheelchair.

May 30, 2013 2:18:51 PM PDT
The man accused of causing a head-on collision that claimed the lives of an elderly couple on St. Patrick's Day has been released from the hospital.

ABC11 has learned that Ray Rouse IV was released from WakeMed hospital Thursday after being critically injured on March 17.

Investigators said Rouse, 34, was headed the wrong way down Wade Avenue around 1:15 p.m. when his car slammed head-on into another car.

The occupants of the second car - 83-year-old Ormond Bailey and 79-year-old Gaynell Bailey - were both killed.

A search warrant filed by Raleigh police in March stated a witness reported Rouse was coming from a brunch where he had been consuming alcohol. The warrant also said emergency personnel noticed a strong odor of alcohol on him and clothing at the crash scene.

Other warrants stated Rouse's blood alcohol level was at .17 and his speed at the time of the impact was 43 mph.

According to court records, Rouse was convicted of DWI in September 2001 and sentenced to probation. He was again charged with DWI in 2006, but the case was dismissed.

In an ironic twist, Rouse was interviewed by ABC11 at the 2012 St. Patrick's Day parade.

He and a friend were giving out beads and the friend said they hoped people wouldn't drink and drive.

"Especially on St. Patrick's Day, which is a beer drinking time," Rouse offered.

Rouse has been charged with two counts of felony death by motor vehicle and second-degree murder. His bond has been set at $2 million.

See It On TV | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Send us photos
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments