Walter Kevin Johnson, 28, made a brief appearance in a Wake County courtroom Monday afternoon. He said nothing to family members who attended.
Johnson was arrested after police stopped his vehicle on Glenwood Avenue near Pleasant Valley Road around 1 p.m. Friday.
He is charged with 23 offenses, including:
- nine counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon
- one count of attempted robbery with a dangerous weapon
- three counts of first-degree kidnapping
- three counts of second-degree kidnapping
- one count of first-degree burglary
- one count of possession of stolen property
- one count of larceny of a firearm
- two counts of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon
- one count of extortion
- one count of larceny of a motor vehicle
Many of the alleged victims were held up at gunpoint as they returned to their homes. Some were forced to drive to ATMs to withdraw cash.
Detectives with the Raleigh Police Department and Wake County Sheriff's Office said Johnson is linked to at least eight robberies, including:
- September 22 in the 4800 block of Pleasant Valley Road (RPD)
- September 22 in the 4300 block of Furman Hall (RPD)
- September 24 in the 1000 block of Collins Drive (RPD)
- September 25 in the 1400 block of Hopson Downs Court (WSO)
- September 26 in the 5000 block of Stonebridge Drive (WSO)
- September 27 in the 4900 block of Wynneford Way (WSO)
- October 4 in the 2400 block of Chelmsford Drive (WSO)
- October 8 in the 6200 block of Ridgefield Street (WFPD)