UNC dorm fire cause explained

Investigators say a fire at Cobb Residence Hall was started by insulation on top of a light bulb.
November 15, 2013 5:56:20 AM PST
Investigators say a fire at Cobb Residence Hall last week was started by insulation on top of a light bulb.

Fire investigators say that insulation should not have been there.

The fire happened Nov. 5 at the building located at 110 Country Club Road.

Fire crews were able to trace the fire to the attic's insulation and structure in the northwest end of the building's center section. Fire and smoke damage were limited to the attic and the section of the fourth floor directly below the fire.

Students living near where the fire broke out will not be able to move back in this semester due to the damage and clean-up.

Cobb Hall is coed and houses 380 residents. More than 70 are still displaced.

No one was injured.

See It On TV | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Send us photos
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments