Wake County man, one of million Target fraud victims

Tom White says he got a surprising call from his credit card company Thursday.
December 22, 2013 3:34:58 PM PST
A Wake County man received the startling alert this week that he is one of the millions of Target fraud victims.

Tom White says he got a surprising call from his credit card company Thursday.

"They noticed charges that were outside of the area, I guess," White said.

"The one that went through was in San Jose, California...but she said it was a swiped card, meaning they actually had the physical card at the store and swiped it," he added.

However, White still had that card in his possession in North Carolina.

Wells Fargo could not tell him how this happened, and they did not confirm that it was connected to the massive data breach at Targets across the country, but White says he quickly put two and two together.

"I stopped at the Target here on White Oak. I made two purchases here during that time, one on December 10 and one on December 15," he said.

Thankfully, his credit card company is covering the fraudulent charge, and they have cancelled his card. Yet, like many others who have had their cards compromised, he is forced to wait for a new one.

"They said it would come in 7-10 days, which is sort of an inconvenience if you were going to use that card for Christmas. Or they said I could I rush it, but they would charge me $16," White said.

Meanwhile, Target issued a letter last week apologizing to shoppers and promising them that the issue has been taken care of.

In an attempt to entice shoppers back into their stores, Target was offering 10 percent off shoppers' entire purchase this weekend. Even so, White says he is not sure that is enough to buy back his confidence.

"I'm not sure, I'm going to be hesitant," he said.

See It On TV | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Send us photos
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments