North Carolina Central University student dies on campus

A student at North Carolina Central University has died following a medical emergency on campus.
February 10, 2014 8:21:03 PM PST
A student at North Carolina Central University has died following a medical emergency on campus.

School officials said 20-year-old Devonte Squire, of Weldon, N.C., died suddenly Monday evening.

They say Squire wasn't feeling well while in the dining hall. He felt dizzy. So he went outside, sat on the curb and died. It happened at the intersection of Lawson and Merrick Streets just after 6 p.m.

? Click here for a Google map of the area. ?

His aunt, whom he lived with in Durham, is heartbroken over the sudden death of a young man she said was his own person and would have given you the shirt off his back.

"He bent over backwards to do anything for anybody. He lived his life, and he'll tell you, 'I'm weird and I own it, and I don't care what anybody thinks about me because it's my life and I'm going to live it the way that I want," said Devonte's aunt, Danitra Squire. "He loved his family. He loved his friends. He loved his theater department. He loved NCCU."

The university sent out condolences and prayers of sympathy to Squire's family.

"On behalf of the university community, I extend our deepest condolences and prayers of sympathy to DeVonte's family and friends," said NCCU Chancellor Debra Saunders-White in a statement. "A vigil or memorial service will be planned on campus."

NCCU's Student Health and Counseling Services are available for students in need of assistance.

Squire was a sophomore theater major.

See It On TV | Report A Typo |  Send Tip |  Get Alerts | Send us photos
Follow @abc11 on Twitter  |  Become a fan on Facebook


Load Comments