• BREAKING NEWS Watch Live: Donald Trump holds a rally in Fletcher, North Carolina

UNC employee burned; power outage disrupts campus

EMBED </>More News Videos

A UNC employee was burned in an electrical mishap that cut power to much of the university.

A power outage Wednesday afternoon at UNC-Chapel Hill caused some disruptions on campus and injured one person.

Chapel Hill fire and Emergency Medical Services crews were on campus for an incident reported at Dey Hall. One person was taken to the hospital with burns. Their condition is not yet known.

The University said emergency officials responded to an accident at Dey Hall shortly before 4 p.m. and confirmed one University employee has been transported by EMS.

The employee was working on an electrical issue outside the Dey building when the accident happened, ABC11 has learned.

The school later announced that the outage was caused by an incident in an electrical closet in Dey Hall.

As of 6 p.m., power had still not been restored. Many campus services and buildings have canceled events and will not reopen until Thursday.

By 7:30 p.m., the University said power was restored to all but two buildings -- Dey Hall and Wilson Library. Those will remain closed until further notice.

The Carolina Union reported it is closing until power returns.

Libraries have also closed early.

Carolina Dining has also been affected by the outage.

The Student Store is also closed because of a lack of electricity.

Power is on at the Smith Center, which reportedly has its own generator. The Tar Heels host Wake Forest in an ACC matchup tonight.

The Chapel Hill Fire Department and UNC Environment Health and Safety officials are on scene investigating.

Stay with ABC11 for updates on the power outage and restoration of campus activities.

Report a Typo
Related Topics:
(Copyright ©2016 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments