• BREAKING NEWS Watch Live: First Lady Michelle Obama campaigns with Hillary Clinton in Winston-Salem

Exclusive: Daycare shooting suspect speaks to ABC11

EMBED </>More News Videos

In an ABC11 exclusive, the man accused of shooting up a day care tells his side.

The man accused of shooting into a Durham daycare is speaking for the first time behind bars. In an exclusive interview with ABC11, Marion Laney claimed he was nowhere near the shooting that injured a toddler last week, and he said he has proof.

"I have nothing to hide. I have been as cooperative as I can be," Laney said. "And hopefully with probable cause, all of this will come to the light."

Until then, Laney lives behind bars, in an orange jail suit. The 26-year-old faces charges stemming from what Durham police call a drive-by shooting into a home daycare on Great Bend Drive last Tuesday afternoon.

He denies any involvement.

"I didn't shoot into that home. I have no knowledge of said shooting. I have no knowledge of said victim," Laney said.

RELATED: Durham police arrest man in drive-by shooting that injured toddler

Investigators said the shooter drove up and sprayed 10 bullets into the home-two of them striking a toddler in the leg. He survived. No one else was injured.

Laney said he doesn't own a car. He claimed he was across town shopping at Kroger, and that GPS on his phone will prove he was nowhere near the crime scene.

In fact, Laney said he didn't hear about the shooting until a friend mentioned it on Facebook. He said he believes he was arrested because he "liked" the Facebook post. He says, "I don't really see anything else connecting me."

Laney is charged with assault with a deadly weapon with the intent to kill, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

He has a criminal record dating to 2008. In 2013, he was released from prison after serving more than five years for Armed Robbery.

ABC11 asked Laney why people should believe his story.

"I don't ask people to believe me," Laney replied. "Don't believe me. Believe the evidence."

Evidence, Laney said, will prove he is innocent. That's what he wants the victim's to know.

"I'm sorry this happened to you. I'm sorry we live in a city where violence pervades," Laney said. "But I'm not the one. I didn't shoot your house up. I don't know how to get to your house."

Durham police wouldn't comment on Laney's assertions, but they say the case is still an active investigation

Laney's next court appearance is March 14.

Report a Typo
Related Topics:
newsdrive by shootingchild shotexclusiveDurham
(Copyright ©2016 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments