House fire in Durham after kerosene heater filled with gasoline

EMBED </>More News Videos

It happened in the 900 block of Exum Street (WTVD)

Firefighters battled massive flames at a house in Durham Sunday afternoon after authorities say a kerosene heater was filled with gasoline.

It happened around 4:25 p.m. in the 900 block of Exum Street. When crews arrived the house had fire and smoke coming from the roof and the first floor. All of the residents were already out of the house, firefighters say.

Officials say it took about 30 minutes to put out the fire. No one was injured, but the house and everything inside were completely destroyed. The American Red Cross is assisting the residents.

The residents say they filled a kerosene heater five to ten minutes before what they called "an explosion."

Authorities stress how extremely important it is make sure only kerosene is used in a kerosene heater. Always use a container that is marked "Kerosene", and always make sure you are purchasing kerosene when you fill that container.

Report a Typo
Related Topics:
(Copyright ©2016 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments