Woman loses pets, possessions in Raleigh apartment fire

EMBED </>More News Videos

Sharon Bryant (WTVD)

A woman has several broken bones and burns after she jumped off her apartment deck during Saturday's blaze at the Pinnacle Apartments in Raleigh, her son says.


The massive fire destroyed 12 units after it was likely started by a cigarette butt, fire officials say. On Sunday, firefighters were spraying foam on hot spots.

In addition to her injuries, Sharon Bryant lost her pets and everything inside the apartment.

"She didn't have renter's insurance," said her son, Eric Bryant. "She lost everything - including her two dogs."

Eric says when his mom noticed the fire, she quickly alerted neighbors before running inside the apartment to get her two rescue dogs. Once inside, the flames and smoke grew out of control.

"When she tried to leave, there was just no way to get out of her front door," her son said. "So she jumped off the back deck.

Sharon says she hit the ground, bruised and injured before a neighbor pulled her to safety. Her dogs didn't make it out.

She is one of 16 people now without a home. She's recovering at the hospital with a broken shoulder, ribs, and first and second degree burns.

"She's kind of in shock about it. They have her medicated so she's in and out. She'll talk for a minute. Laugh for a minute. Cry for a minute," Eric says. "I don't think everything has really sunk in all the way."

He says she was going to move out of the apartment later in the month to live closer to the family.

Report a Typo
Related Topics:
newsapartment fireRaleigh
(Copyright ©2016 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments