LILLINGTON, NC (WTVD) --A Harnett County deputy will not be indicted in the shooting death of John Livingston, 33, after a grand jury heard the case on Monday.
Harnett County authorities have identified the deputy that shot Livingston as Nicholas Kehagias. He could have faced second-degree murder charges.
Livingston's family said they are not giving up on getting justice for his death.
"We all started crying," said Maria Rais, a spokesperson for the family. "Because at that moment we all understood what it meant. We were not surprised, but we really didn't want to hear that. Deep in our hearts we wanted to hear this deputy was going to be held accountable for his actions."
Livingston was shot on his West Everett Drive front porch in November. It followed a fight with two Harnett County deputies who were reportedly looking for another man who had previously resided in the home.
When Livingston told the deputies the man did not live there, and they could not come in the home without a search warrant, authorities kicked in the front door and the fight ensued.