DURHAM (WTVD) --Durham police are investigating a convenience store shooting that left one man dead and another injured shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday.
It happened at the Fast Food Mart at 2106 Broad Street. Police said it appeared to be a robbery.
When officers arrived, they found 57-year-old Nafez Jalal of Durham dead inside the store from an apparent gunshot wound.
Another victim - 48-year-old Hassan Joalale of Durham - had a gunshot wound in his leg. He was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
"He is in the hospital, he had surgery," Hakeem Saleh, the store's owner said.
Authorities said both men were employees at the store. Jalal's death is being investigated as a homicide.
Jalal, a clerk at the convenience store, had been preparing to close when the robbery happened. He leaves behind a wife and six kids.
"Had a son going to Durham Tech and his wife is here also he's got some other kids overseas," Tekin Guler, the store's manager said.
No suspects are in custody at this time.
The owner of the convenience store described the gunman as a slender African American man wearing a mask. The owner said the suspect came into the store and demanded money. He said even after the suspect got the money, he still shot the two employees.
"If you rob, get the money and just leave," Guler said. "What's the point killing people?"
Anyone with information is asked to call Investigator J.P. Mitchell at (919) 560-4440 or CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200. CrimeStoppers pays cash rewards for information leading to arrests in felony cases and callers never have to identify themselves.
Report a Typo