DURHAM --North Carolina election officials are investigating inconsistencies with provisional ballots in Durham County during the March 15 primary. It could result in the votes of more than 1,000 people not being counted.
State Board of Elections Executive Director Kim Strach said Thursday the issue centers on exactly how many provisional ballots were cast and how Durham election officials reported how many qualified to be counted.
The Durham board's director told the state board last month the count showed they were short by about 200 ballots.
CLICK HERE TO READ THE DOCUMENTS (.PDF)
But Strach says she will recommend that about 1,040 provisional ballots that Durham officials certified as counted be left out of the final statewide election results. She says the change will not affect the outcome of any contest.
Report a Typo