• WEATHER ALERT Winter Storm Warning
  • Click here for the latest weather-related closings and delays
  • Programming Alert: General Hospital will air at 1:07 a.m.

Late-night cooking starts building blaze in Durham

EMBED </>More Videos

A fire broke out at Henderson Towers on Duke Street in Durham (Shutterstock)

Durham crews responded to a building fire at Henderson Towers on Duke Street late Saturday night after officials said a person fell asleep while cooking.

Authorities said they received the call around midnight. The fire was reported on the eighth floor of the building, though no smoke or flames were visible from the outside.

Firefighters found the blaze and quickly removed the occupant, who was found lying in his bed. Crews then extinguished the fire, which they said was caused by the man falling asleep while cooking.

The man was treated and taken to Duke Hospital. A second victim was checked out, but that person refused treatment or transport to the hospital, authorities said.

Fire damage was limited to the stove and range hood, but there was significant smoke damage throughout the apartment.

Report a Typo

Related Topics:
(Copyright ©2018 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)