Former Wake County prosecutor under investigation for possible misconduct

EMBED </>More News Videos

Colleen Janssen (WTVD)

A former Wake County prosecutor is officially under investigation for possible misconduct.

Colleen Janssen came under scrutiny earlier this summer after the state court of appeals overturned one of her convictions.
RELATED: WAKE PROSECUTOR WHOSE FATHER WAS KIDNAPPED RESIGNS

A hearing held Tuesday morning is the direct result of the state Court of Appeals' decision to throw out assault and robbery convictions against two men Janssen tried in 2014.

The ruling said Janssen used her personal email account to ask a Raleigh police investigator to withhold evidence against the victim in the case until after the 2014 trial.

Janssen's family made news that same year when her father was ordered kidnapped by a gang leader she'd sent to prison.

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE ABOUT THE KIDNAPPING

On Tuesday, Janssen found herself in civil court - facing a judge she knows well.

Both Janssen and representatives of the state bar agreed Judge Donald Stephens would review the bar's investigation and decide whether Janssen violated ethical rules and if any action should be taken against her.

Janssen's attorney said she is cooperating with investigators and the probe will present the first opportunity for her to respond to the appeals decision and the resulting allegations of misconduct.

"They have made requests of us of certain information, considerable information, which we have turned over," Rick Gammon said. "And we will continue to cooperate with the State Bar in an effort to conclude this matter as quickly as possible."

At this point it is unclear how long the state bar's investigation will last.

Report a Typo
Related Topics:
newsRaleigh
(Copyright ©2016 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments