RALEIGH (WTVD) --Authorities in Raleigh are searching for a suspect involved in shooting that left a woman paralyzed following a robbery last week.
Raleigh police say during the early morning hours of Sept. 4, Natalia Valle, and her husband, Benancio Aguilar were headed to their home in the 3200 block of Calumet Drive from WakeMed after Aguilar was treated for a work-related injury.
As they neared their apartment door, authorities said the couple was approached by a man armed with a handgun.
The suspect then told the pair he was robbing them and fired a shot that struck Valle in the left side of her torso.
"My wife has fallen on the floor. He stepped away," Aguilar recalled. "[He said] 'Give me the money. Give me the money.' Two times."
Police said the suspect then tried to shoot Aguilar, but the gun misfired.
Valle was taken to WakeMed, where doctors determined that the gunshot had severed her spine leaving her paralyzed.
"My wife's crying every day. It's too much problem for my wife," Aguilar said.
A GoFundMe page has been set up to help with medical expenses.
CLICK HERE TO DONATE
Authorities said the suspect stole Valle's purse before fleeing through a breezeway and has not been identified.
The case remains under investigation. Anyone with information is asked to call Raleigh CrimeStoppers at (919) 834-HELP or visit raleighcrimestoppers.org for text and email reporting options.