Charlotte to release remaining dash and body cam videos next week in Keith Scott case

Charlotte police dash cam and body cam video of the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott (WTVD)

The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department said it plans to release the remaining dash and body cam videos in the Keith Scott case next week after it is reviewed by members of Scott's family.

CMPD said it made arrangements for Scott's family to review the remaining footage in its entirety. Police said Scott's family requested in writing Friday at 4:49 p.m. that the video footage be made public.

On Friday, Sen. Phil Berger sent a letter to Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts urging her to release all the tapes of the Scott shooting; as the City of Charlotte is the sole custodian of the tapes.

That request came on the eve of House Bill 972 going into effect.

HB972 prevents police recordings from being public record and only allow such a release under a court order from a Superior Court judge.


Scott, who police said had marijuana and a stolen gun that had been sold to him, was shot and killed by a CMPD officer on Sept. 20 in northeast Charlotte.

Tests revealed Scott's fingerprints, DNA and blood were on a gun.

The deadly shooting sparked several nights of protests in Charlotte, some violent, some peaceful.

Gov. Pat McCrory declared a State of Emergency and city officials imposed a curfew for Charlotte as tensions in the city escalated.

Those have since been lifted.

CMPD released a portion of the police video on Saturday.

Some information from ABC affiliate WSOC was used in this report.

Report a Typo
Related Topics:
(Copyright ©2016 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments