DURHAM, North Carolina (WTVD) --A fire damaged several units of the Crystal Village Apartments on Camelia Drive in north Durham Sunday afternoon.
Pictures from the scene showed firefighters putting out hot spots and it appeared a large section of roof over the deck area of one apartment was destroyed.
The blaze was reported around 3:30 p.m.
Two other apartments also suffered heavy smoke and water damage.
Investigators said the fire started with a cigarette.
The Red Cross was helping 9 of 12 residents who were not able to return to their homes.
Report a Typo