DURHAM, North Carolina (WTVD) --A Labrador Retriever is alive Wednesday thanks for Durham firefighters and a neighbor who called for help.
Crews responded to a home in the 500 block of Windcrest Road around 10:30 a.m. because a neighbor saw smoke billowing from the house.
Firefighters found the dog, named Lexie, hiding in an upstairs closet. Crews pulled Lexie from the home and gave her oxygen. Firefighters then rushed Lexie to the Veterinary Specialty Hospital of the Carolinas in the Hope Valley Commons shopping center.
Lexie is in stable condition.
The fire, which started in the first-floor laundry room, was under control in about 20 minutes. There was fire damage on both floors at the rear of the house and smoke damage throughout the house. The cause of the fire is believed to be a malfunction of the dryer.
"I just didn't want the situation to be what it was," said Sam, the neighbor who called 911.
The owner, Luke Sidhu, was renting out the home to the Hopkins family. Mr. and Mrs. Sidhu told Sam they are grateful he made the call.
"Thank you very much," Mrs. Sidhu stated.
The couple is also thankful to firefighters for saving the home. They will use their homeowner's insurance to rebuild.
Smoke and water caused most of the damage that ruined the Hopkins family's possessions.
"It's a lot to take in," says Torshero Hopkins.
Hopkins was at work when her daughter broke the news.
"She's telling me and I am just like, 'No say it again. Stop playing. It ain't even April Fools day yet.'"
The Hopkins family says they are grateful the Engine 6 fire crew worked hard to keep Lexie alive.
"I just couldn't do anything but thank them because that's our baby," Hopkins shared.
The Hopkins family didn't have renter's insurance. The American Red Cross is helping the family.
There's also a GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/t5n5ntdc
Report a Typo