FT. BRAGG, N.C. (WTVD) --For the third time since Saturday, members of the 82nd Airborne Division's Combat Aviation Brigade have been told their deployment has been pushed back.
So far, there's no official word yet on why.
For the soldiers and their families, it's certainly been an emotional roller coaster ride -- packing, and then getting ready to leave, saying goodbyes and then being told to wait. They've gone home and got ready to leave again only to be told their flight has been delayed. The latest delay was Wednesday evening.
The 70 or so soldiers are the first of 1,700 Combat Aviation Brigade troops who will be leaving Fort Bragg for Afghanistan this fall. The Pentagon says the deployment is part of a routine rotation.
On the ground there, the CAB will provide medevac and support for the mission. The Brigade also flies Blackhawk, M Kiowa and Apache gunships for close in air support.
Meanwhile, Bishop Michael Burbidge of the Catholic Diocese in Raleigh has issued a statement calling on us to keep the troops and their families in our prayers.
"The deployment of 1,700 troops is a sobering reminder of the violence and turmoil taking place around the globe, as well as the commitment of our men and women in uniform to defend freedom for all people," said Burbidge.
There is no word on how long their mission will last. Bragg commanders hope these first troops out will get to leave sometime Thursday.
Report a Typo