GARNER, N.C. (WTVD) --U.S. Business Highway 70 was shut down for part of Monday evening near the Wake-Johnston County line due to a natural gas leak.
It happened near Guy Road around 7:30 p.m. Monday at a regulation station for PSNC Energy. Company officials said a piece of malfunctioning equipment caused a release valve to gave away, which is what some living in the neighborhood heard as an explosion.
The gas leak was capped by 8:50 p.m.
Some homes within one mile of the regulation station were evacuated as a precaution. Others living nearby were advised to stay indoors until the air cleared.
"The biggest challenge was the evacuation -- notifying everybody," said Garner Deputy Fire Chief Tim Herman. "We've got a major highway here: Highway 70. Shutting this highway down, shutting Guy Road down, and notifying everybody. We did have to perform one rescue. We had an elderly resident in house real close by that couldn't get out on her own."
U.S. Business Highway 70 reopened around 9 p.m.
No injuries were reported. Gas service was not interrupted in the area.
PSNC said it could take several hours to make repairs.
Report a Typo