Victims identified, investigators probe deadly Fayetteville crash

EMBED </>More Videos

Investigators are still piecing together a multi-vehicle accident that left three people dead Wednesday night.

Investigators are still piecing together a multi-vehicle accident that left three people dead Wednesday night.

It happened around 6:30 p.m. in the 3500-block of Murchison Road where witnesses and first responders stood for hours as the jaws of life recovered the bodies of three drivers -- a Fayetteville and Lumberton man, and a Raeford woman.

The drivers have been identified as Laytosha McNair, 35, of Raeford, John Wesley Morrow, 67, of Fayetteville, and Jimmy Campbell, 50, of Lumberton. McNair was driving a 2003 Volkswagen. Morrow was driving a red 2010 Nissan pickup truck, and Campbell was behind the wheel of a black 2006 Chevy pickup.

Murchison Road remained closed until after 2:30 a.m. Thursday. Details of the accident have not been released, but by Thursday afternoon, investigators had gathered surveillance videos from neighboring businesses. Many store owners and workers were the first responders.

"It changed my life seeing that at that point," said Walter Houston, who works for Weather's Moving and Storage, which sits right along the sidewalk of the crash site.

Houston reached the victims immediately after the accident.

"I learned to love my grandkids more and appreciate life a little bit more cause ten minutes and you're no longer on this Earth," he said.

Headed to bible study

Laytosha McNair had just left the Hamrick's store off McPherson Church Road. Family members said she was exchanging clothes for her four-year-old son, Gabriel when she became one of three who lost their lives on Murchison Road, she was just a few blocks from Powerhouse of Love & Faith, Incorporated Church. She was headed to Bible Study.

"She lived her life by example," said her best friend, and attorney, Angela Carter. "She didn't have to tell you how to do things. She showed you. And this little man right here...," she said sighing, holding Gabriel. "(He) is so blessed to have had her as long as he did. Wow."

McNair was a 1996 graduate of Hoke High School and an educational counselor for military families. She had been excited about planning a 20th class reunion in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. The day before the accident, she visited with her longtime friend, Carter, and signed some legal paperwork.

"It was almost prophetic in the way that she was talking to me," said Carter. "She was clearing up a lot of things that just happened in the past. Talking to people. Forgiving people."

McNair also expressed an urgent need to gather a will to ensure her mother would have Gabriel should anything happen to her.

"He's going to be well taken care of," said Carter.

"Where's she at?" she asked the toddler. "Where did I tell you she was? She's in Heaven, right?"

"His Mommy is in Heaven," she said matter-of-factly.

Mother's caregiver

Jimmy Campbell, 50, was one of 12 siblings. He was the primary caregiver for his 81-year-old mother in Lumberton, and he would normally call his brothers and sisters every day.

"I missed his call on last night," said his sister, Arline Fields on Thursday. "He called one of us, (but) he called him every night."

Fields was pointing to her brother, Clifton Campbell.

"Everyone was suspicious because they didn't get that call," she said.

"We're going to miss that number calling," added Campbell. "He was a dear heart. It's a tragedy the way he went, but The Lord took him the way he wanted him to go."

Last moments

Eyewitnesses said John Wesley Morrow, 67, was still alive immediately after the crash.

"He was trying to talk, but I guess whatever was happening, his body was breaking down from the injuries," said Houston.
Houston and Tracy Harding arrived in time to talk with Morrow, and try to keep him alert.

"I said 'Just hang on, please. Just, just hang on,'" said Harding. "You know, just hang on. Just for a minute."

She became overwhelmed talking about the experience.

"We knew there was nothing more we could do," she said.

Morrow was just a few miles from his Fayetteville home, where family members declined to talk about him or the accident.

But for those who spent Morrow's final moments alongside him in his red truck said they'll be haunted by experience forever.

"Live everyday like it's the last day of your life," said Houston. "Because you never know."

Report a Typo
Related Topics:
(Copyright ©2018 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.)