GUILFORD COUNTY, North Carolina -- Animal cruelty charges have been filed after a video went viral days ago showing a girl using an aerosol can and lighter to create flames which she pointed towards her dog, the Guilford County Sheriff's Office said.
Deputies said another teen filmed the incident and posted it on Snapchat.
READ MORE: NC JUVENILE TRIES TO SET DOG ON FIRE USING AEROSOL CAN, LIGHTER
Bella, a chocolate Labrador Retriever, is being treated at Benessere Animal Hospital in Greensboro.
Doctors said Bella's fur was burned and she had paint on her tail, but she wasn't seriously hurt.
"Here she was part of a family and loving and loyal to them and all of a sudden, she's set on fire," Dr. Janine Oliver, owner of Benessere Animal Hospital told WGHP.
Oliver said the burned parts of Bella's fur feel like plastic.
"The fur on her back, all the fur is kind of singed and melted," said Oliver.
The mother of one of the teens, who wished to remain anonymous, said her daughter made a mistake.
"She made an immature, stupid mistake. She deserved to be charged, but she also deserves to be forgiven."
Stay on top of breaking news stories with the ABC11 News App
Investigators said the teens involved are ages 13 and 14.
"The dog could have been engulfed in flames and not only emotionally traumatized but in horrible pain," said Oliver.
Bella will stay at the animal hospital until she is allowed to be adopted.
Charges filed against NC teens who tried to light dog on fire in viral video