Campbell students arrested after explosion

Buies Creek Harnett County Sheriff's deputies were called to the Kitchen Dorm on Campbell University's campus around 4:30 a.m. Friday after reports of a chemical odor in a dorm. The building was evacuated after several people suffered from breathing problems. None of the students were transported to the hospital.

Emergency fire and EMS crews found the fumes were caused by an explosive device made of two chemical substances that were combined. The substance was placed in plastic bottles and exploded.

Investigators say one of the devices was found on the first floor hallway and three devices were found outside. No damage was reported.

Thomas Minor, 19, of Fuquay-Varina has been charged with possession of weapons on school grounds.

Copyright © 2023 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.