JOHNSTON COUNTY The incident happened just after 1 a.m. at the Novo Nordisk plant on Powhatan Road in Wilson's Mills.
Fire officials tell Eyewitness News that they received a call about a spill, but when they arrived they found no chemicals had been spilled, only that they had been mixed improperly.
That resulted in a hydrochloric vapor that one employee inhaled, but his injuries are not considered to be life threatening.
He was taken to Johnston Medical Center in Smithfield.
No other injuries were reported. Firefighters cleared the scene just before 4 a.m. Officials from Novo Nordisk are cleaning up the affected area.
Copyright © 2023 WTVD-TV. All Rights Reserved.